2. Psychological balance: Psychology is the thinking activities of human beings. Psychological balance is the harmonious state of people’s mentality. Whether people have psychological balance affects their health greatly.
According to the UN WHO, psychological health is the most serious problem of human beings in the 21st century. As is pointed out in The Medical Classic of the Yellow Emperor, “…the hundred diseases result from the disharmony of qi. Anger makes the qi ascending. Joy makes the qi slack. Sorrow makes the qi depleted…. Fright makes the qi chaotic. Labor makes the qi exhausted.” So, the treatment of diseases is first of all the treatment of the “heart”. Modern science also finds 65%-90% of human diseases are related to mental depressions. Nervousness, anger, hostility and other bad sentiments tend to destroy the immunity system of the human body and cause high pressure, coronary heart disease and arteriosclerosis.
Thinking, an activity of the cerebrum, will make the cerebrum excrete hormone—adrenalin, noradrenalin, and β-endorphin. In case of anger or nervousness, the cerebrum will excrete noradrenalin—toxic hormone which will cause diseases. If people think of the better possibilities of a situation with a delighted mood, their cerebrums will excrete favorable hormones that will make their bodies healthy and strong. So far, more than 20 kinds of favorable hormones have been discovered which are believed to delight people. Among them, β-endorphin can cause the most pleasant sensation five or six times that of morphine. Since the cerebrum excretes such substance of delight, it can be inferred that doing good will produce positive hormones while greediness and doing bad negative hormones.
According to scientists, laughing happily may be the best mechanism of balance. The effects of psychological balance outdo all health measures. Heartily happy laughs can produce favorable hormones. If a person feels happy, his cerebrum will excrete a favorable hormone called “dopamine”. If the person feels anxious and angry all day, his cerebrum will produce toxic hormones called “noradrenalin and adrenalin”. If he has done anything harmful to others or the society or anything hated by others, though he may not be punished due to limited evidences, his “conscience” will accuse himself and urge him to correct his deeds—the toxic hormone produced by the cerebrum will cause him to lose appetite, unable to sleep soundly, feel uneasy and even go crazy. But once he has repented, and corrected his wrong doing, his cerebrum will make immediate, corresponding adjustments till eliminate the bad affects, then the person will get self-emancipation.
Studies show that the above reactions are caused by the communication between electromagnetic wave and human bioelectricity. Human bodies produce numerous ideas, just like the numerous channels of radio or TV stations. One idea is one channel. The idea controls the human body through two ways. One is through the information transmission via nerve fibers by the bioelectricity pulse inside the nerve cells and the chemical medium between the cells, and the other is through the “radio wave” by the cerebrum wave and the electromagnetic field. Modern science has deep research on the four electric waves of the human cerebrum: b wave (awakening), a wave (closing the eyes for rest), q wave (dozing) andδwave (sound sleep). When the cerebrum receives and transmits the b wave (8-13 HZ), their mind and body will be in the best state of balance.
About psychological balance: (1) Make the aim clear. The aim of psychological balance is to live a better life, while the key to life is time. The following is how ordinary people spend their lives:
如上：（1）如果人活100岁，理论时间为36500天，浪费5天/年。那自由支配时间为：28天×100岁 == 2800天。（2）一般过了70岁，健康状况会有所下降，因此，人一生实际自由支配时间为：T = 2800天 — 28天×70岁 == 1960天 （3）如您已经愉快地度了n年，则剩余自由支配时间为：28天×（70 - n）岁 == ？天
1) Suppose one lives 100 years, which is 36,500 days, and five days are wasted every year, then the time he could control freely will be 28 days ×100, which is 2,800 days. 2) Generally, people’s health will decline after they get 70 years old, which will reduce the actual time of self-control to: T = 2,800 days – 28 days × 70 = 1,960 days. 3) For a person at the age of n, the remaining time of self-control will be: 28 days × (70-n) .
With such little time of self-control, how to better utilize it is indeed a matter of wisdom, and little do we have to bring trouble on ourselves. Besides, there is nothing on earth that people cannot deal with. But how many people will a person run into throughout his life?
一 生 交 往 人 数 初 考
全世界有60多亿人，中国有13亿人。如每人交往：1、能直呼其名者约 6000人。 2、有一次聚餐者 5000人。3、有三次以上相聚者 3000人。4、有公务来往者 1500人。 5、大观点基本一致者 1000人。 6、有一次经济来往 600人。7、能紧密合作 300人。8、熟悉其家人者 200人。9、天天一起上班见面者 100人。10、能如知己者 36人。11、 患难之交 24人。12、生死之交 8人。
The world’s population exceeds 6 billion and that of China 1.3 billion. If each of us can: 1) name 6,000 people when we meet them, 2) have meal once with 5,000 people, 3) have more than three get-togethers with 3,000 people, 4) have business contacts with 1,500 people, 5) share common opinions with 1,000 people, 6) have one economic contact with 600 people, 7) have close cooperation with 300 people, 8) be familiar with the families of 200 people, 9) meet 100 colleagues in the office every day, 10) make bosom friends with 36 people, 11) make friends in adversity with 24 people, and 12) make friends with 8 people until death,
that will be a grand project taking the limitations of time, space and energy into consideration. The number of 600 people, with whom one may have one economic contact in his life, only account for ten-one-millionth of the world’s population. Shouldn’t we cherish such opportunities in our life?
(2) Conduct oneself without ostentation. Keep a normal mind and be a down-to-earth man. It’s more difficult to do minor matters well in routine work and on ordinary positions. People who can do so are truly great as well.
The reasons for “keeping a normal mind”:
1). Surprising good luck won’t happen every day, and most of our days are normal and ordinary. It is easy to hit a whim, but great achievement always starts from very beginning.
2) With the mind at ease, the cerebrum wave is between 8-13 HZ, and the wits will be brought into full play.
3) With the mind at ease, people feel relax and happy and their cerebrums excrete β-endorphin, a favorable hormone that strengthens one's physique. Otherwise, toxic hormones will be produced to affect one's health.
4) It’s more difficult to do minor matters well in routine work and on ordinary positions. People who can do so are truly great as well.
5) Without a mind at ease, one would easily turn a job into a mess.
(3) Do things elaborately. The occurrence of anything must have the cause and the result. There is no love without reason, nor free lunch on earth. It’s understandable if one wants to make a fortune, get promoted or be prominent, but this should never be made a reason to do evil. A gentleman should lay his hands on the wealth of his desire in a right way. The net of Heaven has large meshes, but it lets nothing through. Sow the wind and reap the whirlwind.
To sum up, the methods of psychological balance are:
(1) Sticking to your convictions. One must have the faith that justice is bound to prevail. One must have something to believe in for subsistence. First of all, he should trust his parents and believe justice and fairness of nature. Second, he should believe that things are relative. Now that there are people and things unfair or unjust, there must be others fair and just. Whether it is a big number or a small number is another story. Third, he should believe the cause-result relations. A good person will be eventually rewarded, and the length or the amount of reward will be proportional to the good deeds he has done. Without such a firm conviction, it’s hard to keep psychological balance. Trust is also a common characteristic of various religions, philosophies and sciences. If one doesn’t believe in anything, he will develop extreme opinions, have a nervous breakdown or die.
(2) Being self-restraint and obedient to reason. When dealing with things, one should rely on himself. He ought to curb his excessive internal desires and resist unreasonable enticement. Attention should be paid to details. Trifling errors will grow into a bit fault if they are not corrected.
(3) Be diligent. Once the goal has been set, one should keep on working diligently despite loneliness. He should keep the general goal in sight, while starting from trivial things.
In general, psychological balance and biological balance are equally important. The two are interrelated and inter-restricted to supplement each other. Psychological imbalance directly affects biological health, and vice versa. Only when the two states are both balanced can the body be truly healthy. Psychological balance is the key to one’s health. Whether others have such a key is not your concern and depends on the cause-result relations. But in the case of principle, if we are attacked, we will certainly counter-attack.
To cultivate is to correct our wrong ideas, opinions,
wordings and practices about the universe and life. – Master Jing Kong
Neither can the essays, or words, or actions express the points clearly and accurately, nor can the heart understand the points clearly and accurately. – Gao Changshou